December 6, 2009

Creations to Make You Go ‘Ooh, Neat’!

An interview with plush toy and yummy bento maker, AnnaTheRed

Part 2 of 2 (Link to Part 1)
Click any picture to enlarge to original size


Plush toy creations and a brief ‘How To’ for making your own bentos. Please see
Anna’s blog for full details!!!

Bear Shaman from Castle Crashers
Created and stuffed: October 2009

When I was making birthday gifts for Dan Paladin, the creator and art director of Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers, I originally wanted to make four plushes. I was very ambitious and optimistic. But as I expected, I couldn’t finish them on time… I didn’t want to sent them too late (since they were birthday gifts) so I only sent him two plushes of the character from the new game that’s coming out 2010.

After I sent off the birthday gifts, I decided to finish them anyway. This was one of the birthday gifts, bear shaman (or Bipolar bear? Not sure of the official name) from Castle Crashers. Since I had a little more extra time to finish, I got the right doll eyes. I modified the patterns for the Dana doll I’ve made for my friend, and made the pattern for his head.












Actually he's got a fluffy tail. If I ever make another one, I think I'll make it with yarn. For his nose and mouth, I used black stitching thread.

He’s got blood on his forehead, his body is mean looking… of course, in the absolutely cutest way possible. I thought about splashing red acrylic paint for the blood but I wasn’t sure how an acrylic paint would look on the fuzzy surface of fleece, so I decided to cut red felt and glued it on as the blood.










The way I figure it is:
- head bigger than the body = cute factor;
- huge eyes = cute factor;
- blood on his forehead = cute factor;
- in fact, blood everywhere = cute factor;
- dead fish sword as a weapon = cute factor;
- everything together = über cute!!

For more pictures of this plush, visit the Bear Shaman from Castle Crashers set! Check out more stuffed stuff on my flickr pages.


ziggynixonziggynixonziggynixonziggynixon















How to make Max
from Maurice Sendak’s classic ‘Where the Wild Things Are’
October 17, 2009
Ingredients and ‘tools’
- rice
- ham (or bologna, turkey, etc. …)
- sliced cheddar cheese
- seaweed
- cupcake cup (I used foil cupcake cups, but if you need to microwave your food, use a paper cupcake cup instead. I’ve tried it, and the paper cup handled the moisture pretty well.)
– hole punch
– straw
– scissors

1. First, make a rice ball and put it in the cupcake cup. You can put stuff inside the rice ball if you want.

2. Cut ham with a plastic cap (I used a cap from a can of hair mousse), and put it on the rice.

3. Use a straw to cut ham for his nose.

4. Slice radish (or sliced cheese, or kamaboko, or hard boiled egg white), and cut triangles for his ears. I also trimmed the top part of ham slightly to kind of flatten out his forehead, but it's not necessary.

5. Cut strips of seaweed and for his hair and whiskers.

6-A. If you have a seaweed cutter for a smiling face like I do, use it to cut out seaweed.
Tip: If you put very thin paper under seaweed, it's easier to cut the seaweed out.

6-B. If you don’t have a special seaweed cutter, cut it freehand with scissors, and cut seaweed out with a hole punch, and put it for the eyes.

6-C. If you want to make smiling Max (like the one in the picture) use a hole punch to make a hole in the seaweed, then slide the punch a little bit and punched it again to make ” C ” shaped seaweed. You can use the top "c" part or just the round part.

Additional: You can cut sliced cheddar cheese to add crown you if you want to make “Max the king of the wild things.”

For more, see
How to make Max on Anna’s flickr page!













'How to make Emil
' from ‘Where the Wild Things Are’
Ingredients and ‘tools’
- mashed yam
- seaweed
- sliced cheese
- radish or white-ish sliced cheese or kamaboko (fish cake), or even left over hard boiled egg white from mashed potato. In other words, you can use any white food!
– cupcake cup (I used foil cupcake cups, but if you need to microwave your food, use paper cupcake cup instead. I’ve tried it, and the paper cup handled the moisture pretty well.)
– hole punch
– straw
– round plastic cap

1. Make mashed potato with yam! (Mash boiled yam with butter)
VERY IMPORTANT: do not give any to Ziggy, he does not like yams at all!!

2. Wrap it with plastic wrap, make a small ball, and put it in the cupcake cup.

3. This isn’t necessary, but you can use a fork to make wavy lines on the yam to make it look like feathers.

4. Slice radish (or sliced cheese, or kamaboko, or hard boiled egg whites), and use a plastic bottle cap to cut out “C” shape for the horn. Stick it on his head.

5. Slice carrot and use a plastic bottle cap to cut out “O” shape and cut it in half for the beak. Stick it on his face.

6. Cut sliced cheddar cheese with a plastic cap or straw (I used a bubble tea straw) for his terrible yellow eyes. And cut out a bigger circle on sliced American cheese.
If you don't have any plastic cap to cut cheese, you can just use a spoon to trim it.

7. Cut seaweed out with a hole punch and put it for the eyes.


For more, see How to make Emil on Anna’s flickr page!

For more pictures of AnnaTheRed’s wide assortment of bento work, visit her
Bento! and Bento details! pages.







All pictures and images used in this interview are the sole property of AnnaTheRed and/or the original copyright holders. No further use or other reproduction of this material is allowed without expressed written consent of AnnaTheRed. No financial gain or other promotional benefits were obtained through this publication. Microsoft has people that will come into your house at night and steal your harddrive if you copy any of this stuff. Seriously. And don't even get me started about the Japanese gaming folks, that's way to scary to even begin to describe.

No comments: